Medical Record Request
To have immediate access to an electronic version of your medical record, log in to the myIslandHealth patient portal.
You have the right to view or receive a copy of your health information that we maintain, with some limited exceptions. You have the right to receive a copy of your health information in a format you prefer (e.g., paper, email, CD). You have the right to request that your health information be sent to any person or entity. Please allow up to 15 business days for processing.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, Medical Records is closed to in-person assistance, however, staff is still available to assist patients by remotely.
Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Account of Disclosures Request
You may write a letter or email firstname.lastname@example.org for an accounting of disclosures of your Protected Health Information by Island Health.
Island Health is required by law to maintain the privacy of your health information, to provide you with a notice of legal duties and privacy practices, and to follow the information practices that are described in our Privacy Notice: Joint Notice of Privacy Practices HITECH (available in five languages).
Access Your Medical Records
- Patients can obtain copies of electronically maintained records at no charge directly from their myIslandHealth patient portal. The myIslandHealth secure web portal allows patients to view and print portions of their medical record.
- To request records to be sent to you directly or to send copies of your health information to another provider please complete the Authorization to Disclose/Obtain Protected Health Information (PHI) (Release of Information) form and submit to us via email, fax or mail.
If you would like to receive your records via email, the Patient Consent for Email Communications form will also need to be completed.
- To request records to be sent to you that are not part of continuation of care or complete record requests you can call Medical Records to obtain your records without the paperwork in option 2. The Medical Records phone number is 360.299.1326.
- To allow us the ability to discuss your medical information with another person, complete this form and submit to us via email, fax, or mail.
Complete this form to request emailing with us without requiring email encryption.
Medical Records Department
1211 24th Street
Anacortes, WA 98221
Medical Records Forms and Requests
You may write a letter or complete this form to request a correction or amendment to your Protected Health Information which was originated or created by one of our providers.
To be valid, the Authorization to Disclose/Obtain Protected Health Information form needs to be in writing, dated, signed BY THE PATIENT, and must contain the following information:
- From whom the information is to be released (Island Health).
- To whom the information is to be released.
- The purpose of the release (box needs to be checked – usually personal).
- What information the patient is requesting needs to be noted.
- The time period when the service was performed. If you can’t remember exactly, providing a general time frame gives us a hint (example: July 2018).
- Contain an expiration date (example: one week from today).
- Be signed and dated by the patient.
Spouses generally CANNOT sign for each other. There are, of course, circumstances involving guardianship, minors, Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care (which is only applicable if the patient is unable to sign for themselves), etc. The age requirements for diagnoses involving mental health, alcoholism, drug abuse, pregnancy/pregnancy termination, sterilization, or sexually transmitted disease including HIV/AIDS, are listed on the form.