What is pulmonary rehabilitation?
Pulmonary rehabilitation is a multidisciplinary exercise and community education program for any qualifying person with lung disease. We see patients with many lung diagnoses such as COPD, emphysema, bronchiectasis, pulmonary fibrosis, asthma and much more.
What are the benefits of pulmonary rehabilitation?
There are many benefits to pulmonary rehabilitation. Many participants notice:
- Decreased shortness of breath
- Increased exercise tolerance and strength
- Improved ability in doing daily activities
- Better understanding of medication use and breathing techniques
- Better weight management
- Increased independence and quality of life
- Access to a support system
- Overall improved sense of well being
Who is qualified for pulmonary rehabilitation?
Patients need a pulmonary function test (within the last year) and a referral from your physician to get into pulmonary rehabilitation. Your physician will need to review your pulmonary function test to see if you will qualify for pulmonary rehabilitation.
To schedule Pulmonary Rehabilitation at Island Hospital, call: (360) 299-4242.
Published on May 7, 2021