Welcome to Week 11 of Island Health’s Farm Stand!
With the big summer heatwave behind us, we can all start using our ovens again! If your schedule allows, try batch baking in the morning while the weather is still cool and a bit damp. Not only will the smells wake others up in your home, but the warmth will permeate your kitchen.
Whether you are an advanced chef or cooking novice, sheet-pan meals are an excellent way to quickly prepare a healthy, vegetable-forward dinner. Sheet-pan meals are an alternative method to “one-pot” cooking. You simply set a piece of parchment paper on a sheet pan, add your seasoned ingredients, and bake in the oven until ready. The benefit of this type of cooking is the easy clean up. This is a versatile technique as it is appropriate for a single person cooking for themselves or a large family (you may need two pans!). A quick online search of sheet-pan meals will come up with thousands of options, everything from chicken fajitas to meatloaf with veggies. Next time you feel tight for time, consider a sheet-pan meal instead of eating out!
This week’s Fresh-to-Go bag contains fresh sweet corn! It is important to eat sweet corn as quickly as possible once purchased as the sugar in each kernel starts to turn to starch which affects its flavor and texture. Always store corn in its intact husk as this keeps the kernels hydrated and slows the starchy transformation. Try this high fiber bean and corn salad presented during Chef Michael Hannah’s Mediterranean cooking class last May: https://islandhealth.org/healthy-recipes/black-bean-corn-relish/
This Week’s Participating Vendors
- Schuh Farms will be providing their wide selection of Skagit grown produce, berries, flowers, honey, and cookies as well as choice items from family farms in Eastern Washington. https://schuhfarmswa.com/
- Water Tank Bakery is back by popular demand with their artisan breads and cookies made using craft techniques and Washington grown Cairnspring Mills flour. https://www.watertankbakery.com/
- Dog Island Mushrooms grows a variety of culinary mushrooms on Guemes Island and will bring mushrooms by the pound and mushroom growing kits. http://www.dogislandmushrooms.com/
- Ebb & Flow Herb Farm grows culinary and medicinal herbs with which they sell fresh, dried, and as blended teas and seasonings. Also available will be artisan goat milk soaps and selection of fresh vegetables!
Weekly Fresh-to-Go (FTG) Bags
Fresh-to-Go Bag Contents for Tuesday, August 16th
- Choice of Greens
- Bunched Carrots
- Sweet Corn
How to Order Fresh-to-Go (FTG) Bags
Email email@example.com by noon on Monday, August 15th to indicate you want the current FTG bag.
- Please include a contact phone number (prefer cell phone) when placing your order.
- Pick up FTG bag from the Schuh Farms booth at Farm Stand on Tuesday, August 16nd, 11:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Please pick up your Fresh-to-Go bag by 3:30 p.m. on Tuesdays, unless you make a special arrangement.
- Pay at the Farm Stand.
If you pre-paid for the entire season there is no need to email, we have you on the list!
The Island Health Farm Stand runs 11 a.m.-4 p.m. every Tuesday from June 7th to September 6th. The Farm Stand is held in the 24th Street courtyard on the Island Health campus, just to the east of the main campus entrance.
Island Health employees and the local community are all welcome to attend.
Island Health Employee Wellness
Published on August 12, 2022