Welcome to Week 12 of Island Health’s Farm Stand!
This is the third to last Farm Stand of the summer season but that does not mean you cannot continue enjoying locally produced foods once September arrives. Living in the Pacific Northwest has many benefits, including a growing season that extends well into November, sometimes longer if the weather is mild!
Did you know that Island Health is a site host for Boldly Grown Farm’s winter CSA? Community Supported Agriculture (CSA for short) is a produce subscription similar to our summer Fresh-to-Go bag program at the Farm Stand. From November to March, Boldly Grown Farm CSA members can pick up a box of fresh, organic vegetables every other week from the Island Health campus! To learn more about this program visit https://www.boldlygrownfarm.com/csa .
Advice on healthy eating can often be confusing and conflicting. General Surgeon, Dr. Mark Donovan and Registered Dietitian Amber Phillips recently collaborated on a healthy eating article for Island Health. No doubt you are supporting your health by consuming locally produced foods, check out their article for more tips on increasing your vitality through food: https://islandhealth.org/what-is-a-healthy-diet/ .
Did you know that Island Health offers a variety of virtual health education classes? Topics range from healthy digestion to suicide prevention and are taught by our very own health care professionals. Classes are currently being offered virtually and are simple to attend. Browse the fall class listing here: https://islandhealth.org/classes/
This Week’s Participating Vendors
- Schuh Farms will be providing their wide selection of Skagit grown produce, berries, flowers, honey, and cookies as well as choice items from family farms in Eastern Washington. https://schuhfarmswa.com/
- Water Tank Bakery is back by popular demand with their artisan breads and cookies made using craft techniques and Washington grown Cairnspring Mills flour. https://www.watertankbakery.com/
- Dog Island Mushrooms grows a variety of culinary mushrooms on Guemes Island and will bring mushrooms by the pound and mushroom growing kits. http://www.dogislandmushrooms.com/
- Ebb & Flow Herb Farm grows culinary and medicinal herbs with which they sell fresh, dried, and as blended teas and seasonings. Also available will be artisan goat milk soaps and selection of fresh vegetables!
Weekly Fresh-to-Go (FTG) Bags
Fresh-to-Go Bag Contents for Tuesday, August 23rd
- Schuh Farm Corn
- Choice of Greens
- A Surprise!
How to Order Fresh-to-Go (FTG) Bags
- Send an email to email@example.com by noon on Monday, August 22nd to indicate you want the current FTG bag.
- Please include a contact phone number (prefer cell phone) when placing your order.
- Pick up FTG bag from the Schuh Farms booth at Farm Stand on Tuesday, August 23rd, 11:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Please pick up your Fresh-to-Go bag by 3:30 p.m. on Tuesdays, unless you make a special arrangement when replying to this email.
- Pay at the Farm Stand.
If you pre-paid for the entire season there is no need to respond to this email, we have you on the list!
The Island Health Farm Stand runs 11 a.m.-4 p.m. every Tuesday from June 7th to September 6th. The Farm Stand is held in the 24th Street courtyard on the Island Health campus, just to the east of the main campus entrance. Island Health employees and the local community are all welcome to attend.
Island Health Employee Wellness
Published on August 19, 2022