Carrot Ginger Soup
- Tree Nut-Free
A smooth carrot soup with just the right amount of heat and bite from ginger and chili paste. This nutrient-rich vegan soup is featured on the Island Hospital patient menu.
- 4 pounds carrots
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cups unsweetened canned coconut milk
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 1 tbsp Sambal Oelek chili paste
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- Chop carrots into one inch pieces. Steam or simmer carrots for 15-20 minutes until soft.
- In large pot, sauté onion, ginger and garlic in oil until soft and fragrant.
- To the pot add carrots and remaining ingredients. Using immersion blender or regular blender, purée until smooth.
- Tip: Top with reserved cilantro, green onions, or toasted pumpkin seeds for a bit of crunch.