Potato Leek Soup
- Tree Nut-Free
This heart-healthy take on a classic soup is proof that simple ingredients do not mean simple flavors. The key is cooking the leeks until they sweeten and melt into the potatoes. Serve alongside grilled white fish on a bed of greens with lemon and olive oil.
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cups chopped leeks (approx. 3 medium)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 gold potatoes, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup milk of choice (dairy or plant-based)
- Heat avocado oil on medium heat, add leeks, and half of the salt. Cook for at least 15 minutes until leeks are translucent and soft
- Add potatoes, garlic, pepper, thyme, and coriander. Let cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add vegetable broth, turn down to a simmer and let bubble for 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Turn off the heat, add lemon juice, and mix in well. Wait a minute or two then slowly stir in milk before serving.
- Tip: For a smooth soup, use immersion blender or transfer to a food processor.