This hearty snack comes together in mere minutes and holds well in the refrigerator for several days. Mix a batch to bring to work, or serve to the kids as an after school snack. You can feel good indulging in this plant-based, protein-packed dip which is high in soluble fiber to support heart health, weight control, and lower cholesterol! Feel free to substitute any bean in this recipe, or add lentils, 1/4 tsp ground turmeric, and serve with naan bread for an East Indian flair.
- 1 15oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- Juice of one lime
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place first seven ingredients in food processor, blend until smooth.
- Drizzle in olive oil and blend until achieving desired consistency.
- Top with diced jalapenos and Cotija cheese.
- Serve as dip with baked tortilla chips and fresh vegetables such as: bell pepper strips, purple cabbage, and celery sticks