Foolproof Smoothie Formula
Smoothies are a refreshing addition to your summer routine and an easy way to increase intake of vegetables but can quickly turn unhealthy when the carbs and sugar start adding up. Follow this easy formula for a flexible, healthy smoothie every time. Change the ingredients regularly to maximize nutritional benefit.
- 1 cup liquid base: Unsweetened milk or milk alternative, water, coconut water, 100% juice, cold brewed coffee or tea
- 1 cup leafy greens: Spinach, kale, Swiss chard, romaine lettuce, arugula
- 1-2 cups mixed fresh or frozen fruit: 1/2 banana, berries, melon, mango, pineapple
- 2 tbsp protein: yogurt, nut butter, protein powder
- 1 tbsp healthy fat: chia seeds, ground flax seed, avocado, hemp seeds, coconut meat
- 1 tsp spice: cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, turmeric
- Tips: Always pulse your leafy greens with the liquid first before adding other ingredients to avoid large green flecks.
- Adding frozen blueberries creates a dark purple smoothie, masking any green color for those picky eaters.
- Experiment with a mix of fresh and frozen ingredients until you find your preferred texture and temperature. For example, fresh vs. frozen banana.