Believe it or not, this no-cook recipe makes an already healthy whole grain even better for you! Soaking the oats instead of cooking creates retrograde starch (RS). RS behaves more like fiber than a carbohydrate, lowering glycemic response and aiding digestion. Prepare a batch Sunday evening that can be enjoyed throughout the week, warm or cold, by toddlers, teens, adults, and elders. This recipe works well for picky eaters who can choose their own toppings!
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 4 cups milk of choice (whole, nonfat, soy, etc.)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Stir ingredients in bowl until well mixed.
- Chill in refrigerator overnight.
- Topping Suggestions:
- The Paul Bunyon: Maple syrup, walnuts, blueberries and cinnamon. Tropical: Crushed pineapple, dried coconut flakes, banana and macadamia nut. PB&J: Peanut butter and frozen raspberries. Protein Power: Greek yogurt, sliced almonds and pumpkin seeds. Lemon Pie: Greek yogurt, lemon curd and crushed graham crackers S’mores Dessert: Crushed graham crackers, mini marshmallows, chocolate sauce