Tofu Bahn Mi Bowls
This recipe is the perfect flavor explosion to get you excited about veggie-forward meals this spring! The use of tofu is a great way to switch up your protein source and is especially cost-effective. Meal prep each of the components over the weekend for an easy and nutrient dense lunch to take to work!
- QUICK PICKLED DAIKON AND CARROTS
- 1 1/2 cups daikon radish, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 small jalapeños, sliced
- 1 cup water, hot
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- MARINATED TOFU
- 14 oz extra firm tofu
- 2 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 Tbs seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- CABBAGE AND KALE SALAD
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup kale, shredded
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 2 Tbs white vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- pinch salt
- OTHER BOWL COMPONENTS
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- green onion, chopped (optional)
- sesame seeds (optional)
- sriracha aioli (optional)
- A few hours prior to serving, make the quick pickled daikon and carrots. Place sliced jalapenos, and julienned daikon and carrots into a glass jar. Mix the hot water and vinegars together, and pour over daikon and carrot mixture. Cover and let sit for a few hours in the fridge.
- Drain and slightly press liquid out of tofu using a paper towel. Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch slices. Whisk all marinade ingredients together. In an 8x8 inch baking dish, lay out tofu slices and pour marinade over. Let them marinate for at least 40 minutes, flipping them over if needed to ensure that all parts are marinated. While tofu is marinating, prep other parts of the bowl.
- After marinating, heat oil in a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Add tofu rectangles and cook each side for about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Shred both the cabbage and kale and chop the cilantro. Combine into a bowl. Whisk together the white vinegar and sesame oil and pour over cabbage and kale. Toss to ensure everything is coated.
- While tofu is marinating and vegetables are pickling, chop the rest of the desired fresh vegetables for the bowl (cucumbers, avocados, green onions).
- If you do not have premade sriracha aioli, you can mix mayonnaise and sriracha together to desired spice level and add water to desired consistency.
- To assemble bowl, place a handful of the salad in a bowl, add cooked rice (or other grain), pickled vegetables, and chopped fresh vegetables. Top bowl with tofu and garnishes (sesame seeds, green onions). Severe immediately and enjoy!