Nut and Seed Burger
Store bought veggie burgers can be full of food additives and sodium. This burger is high in dietary fiber, protein and heart-healthy plant fats. Serve on a bun, wrapped in a lettuce leaf or with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. This recipe is perfect to make ahead of time as the burgers can be frozen and pulled out for a quick weeknight meal.
- 1 large onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 3/4 cup unsalted raw nuts (walnut, cashew, pecans or mix)
- 1/4 cup unsalted seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame or mix)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Oil for cooking
- Grind onion and carrot in food processor. Add nuts, seeds and oats; pulse to chop-not too finely.
- Add ketchup, soy sauce, egg and spices; pulse again.
- Let rest for 10 minutes then shape into patties.
- Heat oil in large non-stick pan over medium heat. When oil is hot, add burgers.
- Cook for 5 minutes on first side. Carefully flip and cook an additional 3-4 minutes, lowering heat if necessary.
- Tip: Grill on pan or BBQ mat to avoid burger breaking apart.