These flavorful falafel are jam packed with phytochemicals, dietary fiber and plant protein. The recipe itself is gluten-free and vegan, perfect for entertaining your plant-based friends.
- 2 cups chickpeas, soaked and drained
- 2 tbsp za'atar seasoning
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 8 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp chickpea flour
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed
- zest of one lemon
- salt to taste
- avocado oil for pan frying
- Add chickpeas, za’atar, onion, fresh herbs and garlic in food processor. Pulse until the consistency of sand, not puree.
- Add tahini, chickpea flour, ground flaxseed and lemon zest, pulse to combine. Mixture should mostly hold together if pressed with spoon. If too crumbly, add 1 Tbs each tahini, chickpea flour and ground flaxseed.
- Refrigerate mixture for 15-30 minutes.
- Add avocado oil to a shallow pan until just coating bottom. When oil is hot, make flattened meatball sized patties, add to pan.
- Pan fry 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Transfer to paper towel covered plate. Enjoy with a yogurt and cucumber sauce or tahini
- Tip: These can also be baked or cooked in an air fryer.