Healthy Tips for the Holiday Season
To get a jump start on a healthy new year, try taking a moderate approach to holiday eating this season. Below are a few tips to help you keep holiday weight gain at bay.
- Move your body more to balance the additional calories. Aim to be active for an additional 10 minutes every day on top of your usual routine. With decreased daylight hours and unanticipated rain showers, a brisk 10 minute mid-day walk will help to boost your energy levels and burn some calories.
- When playing games or socializing at the table, make and refill a raw vegetable platter for nibbling. If you like vegetable dips, choose a yogurt-based dip or hummus for a healthy dose of protein.
- If your family is getting stir crazy from a stretch of bad weather, try this fun indoor game: blow up several balloons, turn on high-energy music, and challenge everyone to keep the balloons from touching the ground. Laughter and movement are both mood brighteners.
- Make a large batch of broth-based vegetable soup to eat in between large holiday meals. To support healthy digestion, add lentils or beans to the soup for a boost of soluble fiber.
- If you are hosting this year, remember to have containers on hand to send your guests home with leftovers. They will appreciate having less meal prep to do the next day and you won’t feel pressure to overeat items before they spoil.
Need more information about healthy eating? Talk to your primary care provider at Island Health about a referral to Amber Phillips, Registered Dietitian for a nutrition consultation.