Farro is an ancient grain in the wheat family that is commonly used in Mediterranean cooking. Similar in texture to barley, this whole grain is an excellent source of both protein and fiber. The earthiness of farro nicely balances the sweet and tart apples in this satisfying salad.
- 1 cup dry farro
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 medium apples, chopped
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup cumbled feta cheese (optional
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook farro according to package directions.
- In large serving bowl, combine mustard, apple cider vinegar, sweetener, and thyme. Whisk in olive oil.
- Fold farro, onion, apple, pecans, cranberries and cheese in vinaigrette, stirring until well coated.
- Gently stir in spinach prior to serving.