Salads are a refreshing addition to your summer routine and an easy way to increase intake of vegetables but can quickly turn unhealthy with rich ingredients or if missing important food groups. Follow this formula for a flexible, healthy salad every time. Change the ingredients regularly to maximize nutritional benefit.
- Salad Dressing Formula:
- 1-2 parts vinegar: red wine, white wine, balsamic, rice wine, apple cider, lemon/lime juice
- 3 parts oil: extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp herbs: cilantro, dill, basil, oregano, thyme
- 1 tsp dijon mustard to emulsify
- Choose your ingredients from the selections below.
- 1 cup leafy greens: spinach, baby kale, Swiss chard, romaine lettuce, bibb lettuce, mesclun mix, arugula, green cabbage
- 1/2 cup crunchy vegetables: cucumber, broccoli, carrots, celery, bell pepper, red cabbage, radish, cauliflower, sprouts
- 1/2 cup soft fruit/vegetables: tomato, frozen peas, artichoke, avocado, berries, onions, pickled veggies, roasted veggies
- pick two proteins: steak, chicken, tuna, shrimp, salmon, hard boiled eggs, nuts, seeds, black or garbanzo beans, cheese, marinated tofu
- 1/2 cup complex carbohydrate: roasted cubed sweet potato/squash, quinoa, barley, farro, brown rice, whole grain croutons