Why Choose a Wound Care Center?
We Help You Heal. It’s All We Do.
They say time heals. And for the most part, it’s true. But sometimes, even time needs a little help. As do your wounds. Taking care of your wound is taking care of your health. And the most important part of healing is the human element. Island Wound Care & Hyperbaric Medicine Center is a partnership between Island Health and Restorix Health, utilizing the newest clinical technology to speed the healing process.
From the moment you arrive at our center, our team is focused on creating a treatment plan specific to you and your wound. Successful treatment of difficult wounds requires a full health assessment. We get to know you, often seeing you weekly, and we are here to partner with you in developing an effective treatment plan.
Types of Wounds
At Island Wound Care & Hyperbaric Medicine Center, we treat many different kinds of wounds including:
- Pressure injuries/ulcers
- Venous ulcers
- Diabetic foot ulcers—one in four people with diabetes will develop foot problems requiring treatment
- Non-healing post-surgical wounds
- Traumatic wounds
- Crush injuries
In fact, we care for all wounds, that are not healing as expected.
Treatment of Wounds
Treating and managing non-healing wounds requires a multidisciplinary approach, which includes:
- Checking blood flow: Wounds need oxygen and other nutrients to heal.
- Treating infection: Infections delay healing and can lead to serious complications like amputation.
- Debridement: Removing unhealthy tissue and bacteria improves the chances of healthy tissue to heal.
- Monitor glucose control and nutrition: Uncontrolled sugar levels as well as protein and vitamin deficiencies can result in poor healing.
- Offloading: Wounds need reduced friction or pressure to heal.
- Host factors and dressing: Every wound is different and appropriate dressings promote a faster healing process. In addition, every patient has a different lifestyle with different underlying conditions that might need to be addressed.
- Advanced modalities: Advanced wound-care treatment, like skin substitutes or hyperbaric oxygen therapy, might be recommended when a wound is still not healing after the above comprehensive approaches have been addressed.
Wound Care is Healthcare
If you are suffering from a non-healing wound, it may be time to see a wound care specialist. Treating wounds early with advanced wound care therapies can help you regain mobility and improve quality of life. We can help develop an effective treatment plan to address underlying problems. Our goal is to provide healing comfort and to help you regain mobility. A referral to our clinic is required by most insurances. Ask your doctor if a wound specialist is right for you.
Treating patients with chronic wounds is what our team of specialists do every day. Please call Marilyn Brown, Program Director at 360.899.4600 to learn more about the services offered at Island Wound Care & Hyperbaric Medicine Center.
Brian Minow, MD has over 20 years of diverse experience, including family medicine, wound care and hyperbaric medicine. He earned his Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of California School of Medicine (San Diego) and followed with a residency in family medicine.