Black Bean Brownies
This recipe was developed by hospital cook, Kathy, in our quest to serve healthier desserts in the Bistro. Adding beans and oats to this recipe really ups the fiber and protein allowing for better blood sugar control while indulging in one of nature’s finest gifts, chocolate! The trick with black bean brownies is to serve them first, and then reveal the secret ingredient after.
- 1 15oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup uncooked quick oats
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all ingredients except chips in a food processor and blend until completely smooth.
- Stir in the chips, then pour into a greased 8x8 pan.
- Optional: Sprinkle a few chips on top.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, then let cool 15 minutes before cutting.
- Tip: If brownies seem soft, place in refrigerator for an hour to firm up.