Roasted Pear with Candied Nuts
The cool autumn weather and abundance of pears and apples generally means dessert is a fruit cobbler or crisp. This recipe offers a healthy, quick, and elegant alternative to a big pan of sugary crisp. Feel free to experiment with nut varieties, or even substitute apples for pears. The nuts provide healthy monounsaturated fats. Roasting them in a little maple syrup brings out their rich flavor and pairs nicely with the succulent roasted fruit.
- Candied Nuts:
- 1 cup raw, unsalted nuts (any mix of nuts will do)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Roasted Pear:
- 2 firm pears, halved with seeds removed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake halved pears cut side up in baking dish for 30 minutes.
- While pears cook, stir nuts, maple syrup, vanilla, and spices together in bowl.
- Spread nut mixture on cookie sheet lined in parchment paper.
- Roast 10 minutes. Stir, then roast additional 5 minutes.
- Top each roasted pear half with 1/4 nut mixture and optional dollop of Greek yogurt!