Whether avoiding dairy due to allergy or preference for a plant-based diet, grocery store dairy alternatives tend to be sub-par at best. Not only a good source of copper, iron and healthy mono-unsaturated fat, cashews make an excellent base for creamy dairy-free sauces!
- CASHEW CREMA
- 1 cup unsalted cashews (raw or roasted)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- CASHEW QUESO
- 1 1/5 cups unsalted cashews (raw or roasted)
- 1 10 oz can Rotel (spiced diced tomatoes with chiles)
- For both the crema and queso: Soak cashers in water overnight in the refrigerator to soften.
- For the crema: drain cashews then blend with fresh water and salt in a high-speed blender until creamy, at least one minute. Add spices and fresh cilantro as desired.
- For the queso: drain cashews then blend with Rotel in a high-speed blender until smooth, at least one minute. Use this queso as a substitute for any nacho cheese sauce used on nachos, baked Potatoes or a dip for tortilla chips.