Quinoa (keen-wah) is technically a seed but cooks like a whole grain. This superfood provides 8 grams of complete protein and 5 grams fiber per cup. Excellent as a dish on its own or paired with Salmon Piccata.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 1/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- In large saucepan sauté onion in oil until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Place quinoa in a tea strainer and rinse under cool water.
- Add garlic and quinoa, cook for about 1 minute stirring often.
- Add broth and bring to boil.
- Turn heat to low and simmer uncovered until the quinoa is almost tender, about 12 minutes. The mixture will be a little liquidy.
- Stir in spinach, carrot, and mushrooms; simmer and stir an additional two minutes.
- Stir in cheese and pepper. Serve immediately.