This recipe contains all the nutrients that are needed to support wound healing. It can easily be made in a crockpot and frozen into portion for easy reheating. The ground meat and beans provide protein and zinc, the tomatoes and bell peppers supply vitamin C and the sweet potato contributes vitamin A.
- 1 Tbs avocado oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef, bison or lamb
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 2 1/2 Tbs chili powder
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 Tbs garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 16 oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- Add the avocado oil to a large soup pot and place it over medium high heat. Add the onion and sweet potato, stir and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the ground meat to the pot and break it apart with a wooden spoon. Brown for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spices, sugar and tomato paste. Stir until combined.
- Add the broth, diced tomato (with juices), drained beans, bell peppers and tomato sauce. Stir well.
- Bring the liquid to a low boil. Then, reduce the heat to low and gently simmer the chili uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Let chili rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.