The first of January for many means the beginning of healthier habits, or at least, detoxing from a month of holiday eating. This salad is a complete meal in a bowl. Prepare the quinoa, make the dressing, and chop veggies ahead of time so you can support your health with this protein rich, plant-based salad several times per week.
- 1 cup chopped lettuce or spinach
- 1/3 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/3 cup chickpeas
- 1/2 cup sliced cucumber
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 oz feta cheese or 1/4 avocado
- 1 tbsp unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- Batch cook quinoa (makes 1 cup). Add 1/2 cup quinoa and 1 cup water to saucepan. Simmer uncovered for 10-20 minutes until water is fully absorbed. Turn off heat, cover and let steam for 5 minutes. Refrigerate what you don’t use.
- Arrange ingredients on a bed of greens.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, honey, mustard, and thyme until emulsified. Pour preferred amount of dressing over vegetables.
- Tip: Adding Dijon mustard to homemade salad dressings makes for a creamy dressing without added chemicals or fillers and keeps it plant-based.